Want to know everything we’re doing at SDCC this year? Check out our full schedule below and don’t forget to visit booth #2800/2802!
Are you interested in submitting work to us at the show? Please check out this post before you do.
IN BOOTH GIVEAWAYS & SIGNINGS
PANELS AND AUTOGRAPHING AREA SIGNINGS
- 10:00 am: It Takes Two: Creative Forces Combine! Panel with Jim Pascoe and Heidi Arnhold in Room 28DE
- 10:00 am: Writing and Drawing the Past Panel with Jen Want in Room 32AB
- 11:30 am: Jim Pascoe & Heidi Arnhold signing in Autographing Area #AA09
- 1:00 pm: Finding Comfort in the Apocalypse Panel with Scott Westerfeld
- 2:30 pm: Scott Westerfeld signing in Autographing Area #AA09
- 3:30 pm: YA Comics FTW! Panel with Tillie Walden, Jen Wang, and Scott Westerfeld
- 5:00 pm: Pitching Your Original Graphic Novel Idea Panel with Tillie Walden and Jen Want in Room 9
- 11:00 am: Meet the Makers: Kid Comics Extravaganza Panel with Heidi Arnhold at the San Diego Central Library
- 12:00 pm: Girl Power Comics: Middle Grade Fiction for Girls (and Boys) Panel with Gigi DG at the San Diego Central Library
- 1:00 pm: Graphic Novel Adaptations: License to Thrill with Scott Westerfeld at the San Diego Central Library
- 3:00 pm: Spotlight on Jen Wang in Room 9
- 3:00 pm: Autobiography in Graphic Novels with Tillie Walden at the San Diego Central Library
- 4:00 pm: LGBTQ Graphic Novels with Tillie Walden at the San Diego Central Library
- 4:30 pm: Jen Want Signing in Autographing Area #AA21
- 7:30 pm: The Adventure Zone Graphic Novel: Live! at the Observatory Theatre
- 9:00 am: Tickets to The Adventure Zone signing are given away in the Autographing Area
- 11:00 am: The Adventure Zone signing in Autographing Area AA18
- 12:00 pm: My First Comic Panel with Mairghread Scott, Matt Loux, Jim Pascoe, and Jen Wang in Room 29AB
- 1:00 pm: First Second Books: The Comics Revolution Panel in Room 29AB
- 1:00 pm: Fly Me to the Moon & Let Me Play Among the Stars Panel with Tillie Walden in Room 28DE
- 2:00 pm: The Adventure Zone Graphic Novel: Live! in Room 28DE
- 2:30 pm: Tillie Walden signing in Autographing Area AA09
- 4:00 pm: Drawing Distinct Characters Panel with Jen Wang in Room 23ABC
- 5:00 pm: Blurring Subject Matter Line: Teaching Graphic Novels Across the Curriculum Panel with Scott Westerfeld In the Shiley Special Events Suite of the San Diego Central Library
- 6:00 pm: Out in Comics 31: The Next Generation
- 11:00 am: Spotlight on Tillie Walden in Room 4
- 12:00 pm: Love is Universal Panel with Jen Wang in Room 25ABC
- 12:30 pm: Tillie Walden Signing in Autographing Area AA19
- 1:30 pm: Jen Wang Signing in Autographing Area AA09
- 1:30 pm: Kids Comics Live Drawing with Matt Loux in Room 23ABC
Happy book birthday to Animus by Antoine Revoy!
The residents of a quiet Japanese neighborhood have slowly come to realize that inauspicious, paranormal forces are at play in the most unlikely of places: the local playground. Two friends, a young boy and girl, resolve to exorcise the evil that inhabit it, including a snaggle-toothed monster.
In Animus, a beautiful but spooky young adult graphic novel of everyday hauntings, Antoine Revoy delivers an eerie tale.
Dear First Second friends,
It’s with some bittersweet feelings that we’re writing to you today, to let you know Gina Gagliano will be leaving First Second, for the next chapter in her career, with Penguin Random House.
There are many factors we can all point to in the past years, which have contributed mightily to the unfolding comics renaissance in America—from a string of great award-winning works, to graphic novels that connect and resonate with all kinds of readers, an explosion of regional cons and trade shows, to librarians, publishers, and journalists who have each propelled comics in a thousand ways—and we think, among these truly transformative factors, there is one that deserves to be known, and that is Gina Gagliano.
Gina has helped make First Second what it is today—and in so many ways she has helped create the landscape today for publishing graphic novels in America. We’re sad to see her go, but we’re happy for this bright new opportunity for her to shine. We know she’ll continue to champion the future of comics, wherever she is.
With warm wishes to our friend,
Mark & Calista
Mark Siegel Calista Brill
Editorial & Creative Director Editorial Director
Happy book birthday to Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol!
All Vera wants to do is fit in—but that’s not easy for a Russian girl in the suburbs. Her friends live in fancy houses and their parents can afford to send them to the best summer camps. Vera’s single mother can’t afford that sort of luxury, but there’s one summer camp in her price range—Russian summer camp.
Happy book birthday to The City on the Other Side by Mairghread Scott and Robin Robinson!
Isabel isn’t the kind of girl who goes on adventures. But that all changes when she stumbles through the invisible barrier that separates the human world from the fairy world. She quickly finds herself caught up in an age-old war and fighting on the side of the Seelie—the good fairies.
Happy book birthday to Crafty Cat and the Great Butterfly Battle by Charise Mericle Harper!
In this volume, everyone is excited about the school play and its lead role, the super-sparkly butterfly. Bossy Anya wants the part for herself. It will take all of Birdie’s crafting skills to convince her class that she should be the star.
Happy book birthday to One Day a Dot by Ian Lendler, Shelli Paroline, and Braden Lamb!
One Day a Dot explores the age-old question: Where did we come from? Where did everything come from?
Starting with one tiny dot and continuing through the Big Bang to the rise of human societies, the story of our universe is told in simple and vivid terms. But the biggest question of all cannot be answered: Where did that one dot come from?
Happy book birthday to Science Comics: Sharks by Joe Flood!
This volume: In Sharks, we explore one of the most unfairly villainized and Hollywood-famous underwater predators. With their 400-million year history, their vital role in maintaining the ecosystem, their incredible specialized adaptations, and their various unique species, there is a lot more to sharks than just their ferocious jaws.
Happy book birthday Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths by Graham Annable!
Peter and Ernesto are sloths. Peter and Ernesto are friends. When Ernesto leaves to have a grand adventure, Peter stays behind and frets. The two friends grow even closer in separation, as Peter the homebody expands his horizons and Ernesto the wanderer learns the value of home. With ridiculously cute art and simple, funny text, their reunion is even more adorable than you are imagining.
Happy book birthday to Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter by Marcus Sedgwick and Thomas Taylor!
Scarlett Hart is the last of a long line of monster hunters, and this stubborn young orphan is determined to carry on her dead parents’ work even if she’s too young to be licensed by the monster hunters union. With the help of her loyal butler and a lot of awesome gadgets, Scarlett is out to slay monsters—and to take down the corrupt monster hunter who killed her parents!